Sunday 7 November 2010

A list of moorland birds I failed to see today

Left home just after it stopped raining and apparently it got out quite nice. The weather forecast was right ...... except I was foolish enough to leave Waldridge and go to Commondale on the North York moors. The promise of bird of prey over the moorland was too much,  so off I went. Seventy-five minutes later I was standing by a deserted moorland road, with several like-minded people in thick mist and low cloud which occasionally lifted slightly to allow it to rain. By lunchtime I was back in the house with a list of birds including Rough-legged Buzzard, Common Buzzard, Peregrine, Raven, Hen Harrier, Merlin, Goshawk, Great Grey Shrike, Snow Bunting and just after we left, Richards Pipit being amongst the ones seen here the past few weeks that I did NOT see today. 

Back home a flock of 55 Curlew flew over Waldridge road, from their roost either at the coast or Washington to feed on the rough grassland, mainly beyond Edmondsley as I left. Passing the riverside a Goosander flew past and 13 Pheasant were in the field next to the sewage works by the A1 roundabout, with several others on the side of the motorway. Presumably these are recently released birds from the Lambton estate and more will be hit by the cars than by shotgun pellets.

No comments:

Post a Comment