Sunday 1 January 2012

A drowned rat

Not a new mammal for the year but what I apparently looked like when I returned home from my walk about this morning. Apart from at first light, it rained non-stop when I was out. I got absolutely soaked. Not surprisingly this did not help getting anything like a decent list. In fact, it was pretty poor at 37.
The usual birds were down the riverside but elsewhere there was hardly a thing to be seen. 3 Pink-footed Geese were by the river which had  4 Goosander and a Dipper but no Kingfisher today, despite a kindly local dog walker telling me he saw one here and photographed it just the other day.


3 Pink-feet
Walking back along from the Riverside Park  and through the woods by the A167 I saw nothing and I mean nothing, not even a waterprood gull flying over. Eventually I saw something, a male Pheasant, remarkably dry, especially compared to me. Passerines were virtuually non-existant, no Song Thrush, Redwing, Coal Tit, Woodpecker etc through I did see Goldcrest at 4 different spots.
A few plants were seen in flower today, despite the weather but did include a Dog Rose (Rosa canina) on the railway embankment. This is one species I didn't see last month.

So it finished with a total of
37 species of bird
and
6 species of flowering plant.

Oh and did I mention I got soaked .... Happy 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment