Monday 2 January 2012

Weather 2 Naturalist nil

Only had an hour or so to spare today and so just time for a quick walk around the Fell. I was only out for about 2 minutes when I fell like a big sack of tatties on my backside on the icy path. Only my pride was hurt and luckily no one saw me so I spent a few minutes regaining my composure before continuing. The (additional) fat on my rear end gained with all that eating and drinking over the festive period obviously cushioned the fall. But the ice also meant the ponds and much of the heath were frozen so no Snipe to be flushed today. In fact I struggled to get 6 species - Curlew, Reed Bunting, Bullfinch, Lesser Redpoll, Willow Tit and Long-tailed Tit but that was it. Ironically, a party of the latter were on the bird table when I returned home.

On the flora front, I added Annual Meadow-grass, Dandelion, Gorse and Cow Parsley (the Former and latter are species I did not see in December).

43 species of bird
and
10 species of flowering plant.

So soaked yesterday, crashed on the ice today, can't wait until tomorrow in the strong winds forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment