Saturday 2 March 2013

A bit of sunshine

A bit of sunshine at last so I popped out for a hour or so to see what I could find.

A Willow Tit was calling in the South Burn Woods and the 5 Siskin  are still in that same tree as last week. I had a walk around the Brass Castle pond. Despite the sunshine and 6C temperature, there was still ice on the pond (and the other pools I checked too). A Jay got a bigger fright than I did as I crashed through the still dormant willows but I got a new bird for the square this year in the shape of a cock Reed Bunting. Marsh Thistle and Hard Rush were new plants for the year. Continuing to check for mosses,  a bit of a stream bank held a small Harts-tongue fern, only my second site on the fell for this increasing species. Wavy Bittercress was also present here. I soon came across the other, larger Harts-tongue fern and nearby, the best patch of Snowdrops in the area and my first Common Ragwort of the year. A common species of moss, Bi-coloured Bryum (Bryum dichotomum) was on the path.


Snowdrops

Along Waldridge Lane, the deep pool on the Fell side was still frozen but the water was free at one end where a pair of Mallard were swimming. A Red Fox was seen nearby but only briefly and another Willow Tit was calling.

A five minute rummage around the garden when I got back,  before my weekend jobs and the shopping,  found me two  Snails, the Common or Garden Snail and the Garlic Snail (Oxychilus alliarius), 2 Lichens Xanthoria parietina and Lecanora muralis and 2 plants, Yarrow and Red Deadnettle.

My 1km square species list moves on to 118.

No comments:

Post a Comment