Friday 5 April 2013

Sphagnum mosses are not easy

Still off, so I've been continuing checking for my 1kq square the last few days. The Chiffchaff is still present but has moved about 40 metres east, but today there were 2 other singing birds, 1 on each side of Waldridge Lane. Still flushing the odd Woodcock in the woods and a few Meadow Pipit have now joined the Skylarks, singing on the fell. There were 2 pair of Grey Wagtail on the South Burn and the singing Siskins are still present with a singing Bullfinch nearby today. Together with Wrens, Robins, Chaffinches, Greenfinch, Tits and Thrushes there was a lot of song today.


Wren in South Burn

I was nearly knocked over by a running Roe Deer yesterday which saw me at the very last moment as it hurtled over Waldridge Lane right into my path, veering off at the very last moment. At one point I thought it was going to leap over me.


Siskins are also now visiting my bird table which they have ignored all winter, just as I'm using up the last of the food to put out.

Siskin at my bird-feeder

I've spend some time looking at the sphagnum mosses in Felledge wood and Wanister and after much deliberation, checking through the field guide and other books and gazing through my microscope I am happy that I've identified three species - Sphagnum fallax, squarrosum and palustre.  It's not easy that's for sure.

The year list for my square has moved on to 241 with a few mosses and some commoner plants such as Common Mallow, Weld and Field Forget-me-not.



No comments:

Post a Comment