Sunday 26 September 2010

Winter is drawing near I'm afraid.

Still northerly wind and rather cold but a couple of spells of sunshine when I tramped over the fell produced single Speckled Wood and Small Tortoisehell butterflies.  Still good numbers of Meadow Pipits around (I counted 26) and a single Chiffchaff called and gave brief views by the bog. Five Mistle Thrush and 102 Common Starling were on the wires but the finches must have moved off to elsewhere as apart from 5 Goldfinch nearby there was no sign of the flock present earlier in the month. Single Great Spotted Woodpecker and  Willow Tit called in the Felledge wood.
On the way back I heard a call that I haven't heard since April and looking up saw my first Redwing of the autumn heading west. Winter is drawing near I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment