Thursday 17 March 2011

Mole seen down a hole in a hill

Spring is moving on at full speed now, confirmation being the first, of very many, Common Daisies in flower in my lawn.  

Common Daisy
Wild plants I saw in flower for the first time this year, today,  are the 'weeds'  Hairy Bitter-cress, Red Deadnettle & Shepherd's Purse and by the South Burn Marsh Marigold and Goat Willow


Hairy Bitter-cress


On a non-floral and more unusual front, I was walking up the road by Smith’s Field and was amazed at how many molehills are along that stretch.  I was thinking about counting them for a few metres when something caught my eye on one of them. A Mole appeared, stretched out, grabbed some dry grass and went back in again. It took me quite by surprise because I can probably count on one hand the number of live Moles I’ve ever seen. I assume it was getting some bedding for it's nest.
So that makes 5 species of mammal I’ve seen OFFH (on foot from home)  this year, together with 28 species of flower,13 moths and 80 species of bird.
Just before I turned into Waldridge Road, a large female Sparrowhawk that was obviously perched up in one of the Grey Alders flew off and across the road towards the village. That is at least the fourth individual I have seen around the estate this winter.


I haven't been down the riverside for a little while but I hear that yesterday and again today, the Whooper Swan was reported back down there plus the male Scaup & 2 Mandarin. Looks like the Scaup may also be an escapee or a feral bird, despite it turning up originally in immature plumage. More disturbing is that I hear a Mink was also seen down there yesterday. Though undoubtably reliable I am surprised that one was seen here as Otters which are also present here occupy a similar niche in the ecosystem and being six times bigger I would have thought would drive the Mink out. Hopefully that is the case and the Mink is just a transient. Having said all that, Otters can do just as much damage to nesting birds (and fish) as Mink and are not as nice and cuddly as their press reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment