Saturday 12 March 2011

Quakers & Daffodils

Only 1 moth caught overnight - a Common Quaker, due to temperature dropping to 3.5C and heavy rain overnight. A common enough species in the spring but it was my first of the year which is always nice. Last night was the first time for many weeks I haven't heard any Tawny Owls when I listened. Again, probably due to the weather but they will be nesting now and I've found they do go a bit quiet once their territories are established again.


Common Quaker my first of the year
Being a bit busy (as well as the weather), I didn't have the time to have a wander today but I did give the Fell a little check. On the way back from shopping at Pity-Me,  I called in to the top car park to eat my McDonalds and watch the Community Conservation Team in action. Sorry, but I would have joined in and done a bit of Bilberry and Heather planting but I just didn't have the time.  The first few Daffodils have just opened up by the car park, despite the cloud and rain. These are not wild nor planted but presumably dumped from someone's garden - a result of botanical fly tipping! A small flock of 18 Siskin flew over and landed in the Downy Birches nearby. I took my rubbish home of course but unlike many by the looks of it, as Beaney Lane has empty McDonalds boxes and bags scattered along the whole length of it.

2 comments:

  1. This must be one of the filthiest countries in the world. Very few people seem to respect our beautiful country. Sadly,many children drop their rubbish without a second thought. They don't even seem to realise what they are doing.
    Whatever happened to "Keep Britain Tidy"
    A sad state of affairs indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I try and not rant about the litter, fly-tipping and Dog £$%^ that occurs around here but it is my pet hate because it does not have to happen.

    ReplyDelete